Teksavvy Nightmare

Michael Galea michaelgalea-4VtgCsEi+FIybS5Ee8rs3A at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 11 14:36:15 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-11 09:05, Thomas Milne wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM, John Moniz <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
> <mailto:john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 04/10/2013 07:22 PM, Anthony Verevkin wrote:
>
>             From: "Thomas Milne" <thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
>             <mailto:thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>>
>             I noticed that you are sending from Sympatico. Maybe you can
>             answer
>             my actual question, which was about technical drawbacks to their
>             service. I see Bell adds things like anti-virus and so on on
>             top of
>             the service. Those things can sometimes have some unforeseen
>             negative consequences.
>             Do you find it generally fast and so on?
>
>         Thomas, I think I could answer your question. I have moved to
>         the new
>         apartment a month ago and found that Bell might actually be an
>         ok choice
>         for me. I like having fast Internet but I do not download much. So I
>         took the Bell 15/10 package with 60GB included for $43/mo
>         promotional, $53
>         afterwards. Provided 60GB is enough for me that price was
>         actually better
>         than Teksavvy who would also have to charge for the Dry-loop (I
>         don't pay
>         that with Bell) and modem rental (Bell gave me the modem for
>         free and
>         because they mentioned it is a $100 value deal I am sure I own
>         it now).
>         And there is no contract here, just a 30-day notice.
>
>         I checked the speed with iperf towards my Blink connection at
>         work and
>         I had a no-loss exchange at the speeds of 14.9/9.9 which is the
>         way it
>         should be.
>
>         Bell security was also something I was afraid of but the modem
>         itself
>         does not have any more features than what a stock router would have.
>         Also like with all other Bell routers you can use it in a
>         pass-through
>         bridging mode and that's what I am doing, running a full scale Linux
>         router in a virtual machine which establishes pppoe session and runs
>         all the firewalling, VPNs, QoS and IPv6 encapsulation and serves
>         DHCP
>         back into the router (which is acting as a LAN switch + AP at this
>         stage).
>
>         There was also an email from Bell with a link where I could have
>         downloaded their security software for my PC, which I didn't
>         even check
>         cause I don't need it.
>
>         I cannot say if they throttle the torrent traffic as I don't do much
>         torrents - the only movie I have downloaded since went through
>         overnight
>         and I can't say if it was fast or not cause I was sleeping :)
>
>         Overall I am fully satisfied with me going with Bell now and if
> [...]

I'm on Teksavvy and I like them a lot, but I do note the occasional
problem.  I test the dsl link every hour and reset ppp if its down. I
have had two or three such logs in the 14 months I've been with them.

Note that these are outages that persist for more than 60 minutes, or I
wouldn't detect and log them.

And yes, I have seen occasions where nudging ppp restores the link.

--
Michael Galea