Microsoft files EU Android complaint

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 10 14:13:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:08:01AM -0400, William Muriithi wrote:
> I do agree android is not very friendly to the kernel developers, but
> disagree they are worse than Windows and Apple.  That argument don't make
> sense.

It has nothing to do with Microsoft or Apple.  It has to do with Google
being dishonest about what they are doing.

> We always make decisions that are not ideal. If you are left, do you go
> vote conservative because those standing on the left feel too far on the
> other side? Most people don't and that's where we had Blair as prime
> minister. Don't some of us here install nvidia binary despite knowing they
> are unfriendly?

Sure, but they are totally honest about being unfriendly.

> I actually still believe that if android was publicly available
> immediately, nothing much would change because most of the video drivers
> are only available to those privileged

If android was actually developed as an open source community project,
not a secret internal google project, then it might be different.
At least then it could honestly call itself an open source project.

There are arm chips with available drivers these days (although all
involved reverse engineering as far as I know).

> Common, lets agree half a bread is better than none. At least Android
> increased the # of developers who are comfortable with Linux development.
> In the long run that's a gain for anybody working with Linux

In what way are they doing that?

--
Len Sorensen