Microsoft files EU Android complaint

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 9 18:09:28 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 01:51:03PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> >Google seems to want the same thing, but unlike apple they are not at
> >all honest about the fact.  At least Apple is upfront about the way
> >things are.
>
> You might want to read the current Groklaw thread on this.  You'll
> see Google doesn't do what's being claimed, as Kindle and Facebook
> have developed their own Android based devices, without all the
> Google stuff.

Sure, but only after google released the source to that version, and
they don't have access to the official app store as far as I know.

If you want access to new versions first, then you must play by google's
rules.  In the cell phone market being behind by 6 months is a lot.

> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20130409095055445

So the first part the author of the growlaw article apparently doesn't
know how to read and misunderstands what it says.  It clearly says that
to use certain google proprietary apps like google map and youtube that
everyone wants on their cell phone, you have to follow certain rules.
Amazon doesn't have those because they made an e-reader and they don't
care about youtube and google maps.  Amazon also didn't care that they
didn't get to use the latest and greatest android version, because they
didn't need it for their purpose.

Google's rules don't say what add on applications can do (such as
facebook's home screen app).  They do say what the default config of
cell phones have to be to follow google's rules and have permission to
include certain apps and to get access to the new android version before
the source code is released to the public in general.  So facebook
changing the home screen is OK.  A cell phone maker installing it by
default on the shipping product probably would NOT be OK with google.

I don't expect anyone to do anything about what google is doing, since
all you get from following google's rules is access to new versions
slightly before everyone else.  Certainly anyone can take any released
version of android and start making a phone with it.  Of course if you
want google's proprietary applications on it, then you have to follow
some rules, but you could always do your own maps and video playback
and all that.  Of course given the enourmous popularity of youtube and
google maps and such, you probably would be at a pretty big disadvantage
that way, but oh well.

--
Len Sorensen