Teksavvy Nightmare

Neil Watson tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 9 17:00:59 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 12:05:51PM -0400, Thomas Milne wrote:
>   Well, politically you're preaching to the choir I guess. I am not a Bell
>   fanboy or anything. I only wanted to find out if people knew about
>   specific technical drawbacks to Bell's service.

I have not used Bell's Internet service directly. I have recently moved
from DSL to cable after repeated service slow downs, disconnects, and
one complete line cut off.

A colleague of mine did a co-op term with Rogers. He described a comedy
of errors in ticket management.

I think both Bell and Rogers do have agendas to crush competition. This
is normal. They do have market dominance which give them an unfair
advantage. And it's not just Internet providing.  I am uncomfortable
with a carrier owning television networks, as Bell owns CTV. Bell could
offer cut rates for their channels will charging higher rates to
competing channels.  Suppose competing channels were to experience
higher than average outages?

I have Rogers cable. I have noticed that network commercials will
sometimes be cut short and interrupted by a Rogers commercial.  I am
suspicious of this.

Most of us have read about the throttling and bandwidth caps proposed
by Bell and Rogers not long ago. There is still throttling going on now.

There are good reasons to be suspicious of both companies.

Bell and Rogers are not supplying Teksavvy by choice.  I believe they
were ordered by the CTRTc to do so. It's believable that large
corporations have bad support due to funding neglect.  That is common
most places. I believe that both Bell and Rogers neglect support from
other ISP's. They support them as required, but no more. I also
believe that support calls from other ISP's get the lowest priority.

I think the state of Internet providers in Canada is terrible. There is
no good choice.  One simple has to choice the provider that they can
tolerate the best.

Regarding the original post about Teksavvy.  I would call them at the
beginning and the end of each day until the issue was fixed or until I
cancelled and went elsewhere. Tweeting can also get results if Teksavvy
monitors Twitter.  Corporations do not like bad press.

--
Neil Watson
Linux/UNIX Consultant