Teksavvy Nightmare

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 8 16:42:31 UTC 2013

On 04/08/2013 12:29 PM, Thomas Milne wrote:
> Indeed. I didn't realize that Canadians were still clinging to this
> mythology of Bell as some omnipotent machiavellian hydra. Teksavvy, at
> least in this case, is the incompetent party.
>
> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM, John Moniz <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
> <mailto:john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 04/07/2013 07:59 PM, Michael MacLeod wrote:
>>
>>     All interesting info, but not really germane to the original
>>     complaint. Whether it's a bell tech or a subcontractor, it's not a
>>     TekSavvy tech. Fault lies with bell (or persons contacted to them).
>>

>     Unbelievable logic...

So the problem that this all stems from is that no one can control
enough of the stack to deliver a meaningful end to end quality of
service. Bell in theory could, but they stopped trying decades ago.

For anything on the wire network the Wholesale ISPs are left playing
telephone tag with business processes they have no control over.

One way out is rolling out your own physical infrastructure, which is
costly, gives you far more limited reach and is a duplication of what
already exists.

It also used to be that anyone could put their equipment in a Central
Office and work out from there. With the new VDSL2 equipment the SLAMs
are now being deployed to concrete bunkers and onto the sides of the
neighbourhood wire box (pedestal). These locations you can't get access
to put in your own equipment.

One way to fix the system is get the CRTC out of Bells pocket and have
them actually support real competition. Not this watered down access
that is the current Wholesale arrangement.

The funny thing is, if Bell really supported the wholesale use of their
network, in just a few short years they would have better service
companies to buy up and improve their own quality of service. But that
would make too much sense.

--
Scott Sullivan