Teksavvy Nightmare

Scott Allen mlxxxp-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 8 12:57:46 UTC 2013

On 8 April 2013 08:27, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Scott Allen wrote:
>> I again bought my modem but a tech visit was required to
>> install a splitter and test the line, even though I could have done it
>> myself.
>
> Not quite.  The tech should have measured the signal level and adjusted as
> necessary, as part of the job.

I said that I *could* have done it myself, not that I was *allowed* to
do it myself. Not that they would, but Rogers could change their
policy to allow self installation and then charge for tech visits only
if the customer wanted a line and/or splitter installed or to get
things working if the customer screwed up (the way it's commonly
allowed for DSL).

In my case, as I suspect most are, the tech just installed a splitter.
No signal level adjustment was necessary.

If adjusting the signal level is necessary, in most cases that's done
using an amplifier on the customer's premises; something I could also
do myself. I already have an unused adjustable gain cable
amplifier/splitter. As for measuring the level, you can use the
modem's web interface to do this.

Again, though, Rogers would probably never change their policy to
allow this, due to complaints and delays that would result from
problems, even thought they were the customer's fault.

--
Scott