So anyone else irritated by the bell touch tone service fee

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 28 11:36:17 UTC 2012

On 12-09-27 3:23 PM, Dave Cramer wrote:
> Just looked at this again.
>
> I've been paying 2.80 /mth for touch tone service. I wonder if I
> refuse this service will my phone stop operating ?
>
> Looks like a class action suit to me

They've been doing this for at least 10 years, maybe 15, maybe more.
Bell had limits as to how much they could increase the price of their
residential phone service, then they started to charge for this as an
"extra"*.

My father never made the switch to touch-tone and refuses.  They used to
call and harass him about it.

The line at their address has been open since 1980.  I don't think you
can get a new line without touchtone...  it's clearly a cash grab.

If you can somehow get it deactivated, you can use a tone-pulse switch
on a phone to dial, then switch back to use touch-tones.  It's not a big
deal.

-Mike