Small rack sourcing

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 23 23:52:21 UTC 2012

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 16:01:36 -0400
Anthony de Boer <adb-SACILpcuo74 at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> William Park wrote:
> > >
> > > Buying racks at Ikea seems like the most awesome answer thus far!
> > > Worth a visit.
> >
> > Wood catches fire.
>
> Who said anything about wood?
>
> Burning Ikeastuff is likely to give off really toxic fumes, though.

   I am getting into building furniture here at home.  Wood makes excellent shelves.  Far better than the chipboard crap that comes with cheap bookshelves.  Shelves actually are not that hard to do, and they support both ends of your box,

   I have done the mechanical design for a number of 19" rack boxes, at work.  1U and 2U  boxes generally need support at the rear, unless they are very short.  Shelves are good.

   Hint:  A Unit (U) is 1.75".  The actual boxes are slightly lower than their unit height.  If your shelves are spaced slighly more, say 1.80" (46mm), you should be fine.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howard.gibson-PadmjKOQAFnQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org