New notebook Win7 fun

Bob Jonkman bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 19 23:06:20 UTC 2012

On 12-09-19 02:06 PM, William Muriithi wrote:
> I am actually curious if you can try and install from those DVD
> without installing the crapware. That would be a good knowledge to take
> from this thread.

I installed from recovery media a number of times on a Toshiba laptop,
ca. 2008.  Unfortunately, crapware was included (Norton AV, possibly
some online services). I was playing with various Linuces and had as
many as 15 partitions at one time.  I re-installed from the recovery
disks I burned, and the restore utility was polite enough to install
correctly on a re-sized partition.

I ended up wiping the Windows partition altogether, and running only
Linux until this spring, when I needed Windows again.  Unfortunately, by
this time the recovery disks had been exposed to digital cooties, and
would no longer work.  Some kind of unrecoverable disk error.  Lesson
learned: Burnable DVDs are nowhere near archival quality.

Pleasantly enough, a new HP ProBook actually came with HP's installation
media.  Commercial OEM Windows7 disks, no need to burn my own.

--Bob.

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>         http://sobac.com/sobac/
SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Phone: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON Canada  N3B 1L5  Cell: +1-519-635-9413