Question about Ubuntu 12 desktop

Mel Wilson mwilson-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 18 14:49:59 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-09-10 at 12:40 -0400, Mel Wilson wrote:

> Is there a way to upgrade to 12.04 and keep my traditional desktop?  Or
> should I just revert to Slackware times and do my own package installs?

Thanks to the group for the advice.  In the meantime I haven't got over
cold feet, and haven't upgraded.  How about xubuntu?

I have gone "Slackware-time" and built an up-to-date version of git that
works with present-day github.  All is going well.  Kudos to git
developers for making their default build a local build so I can roll my
own local version for testing without necessarily messing with the
installed system.