New notebook Win7 fun

Ori Idan ori-RdxWQVHs3mjDN57Tih+YPw at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 16 06:10:46 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 5:25 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> - I must agree to 2 EULAs, one for Win7, one for Bing Bar.  Otherwise I'm
>   stuck forever in the consent screen (of course I could just boot Linux)
>
> - the first says if I don't agree, I must talk to manufacturer about their
>   refund policy.  Asus support manager say they do not have one and says
>   it's up to the retailer.  So they don't even follow the EULA, why should
>   I?
>
> Once Windows gets over its "preparing desktop" stage, I get asked a buch
> of crapware questions (register some PDF reader, register Trendnet
> security).
>
> It also prompts me to make a Win7 backup (restore disks?).  Turns out that
> that is 6 blank DVDs.  24 minutes into this process and nothing has been
> burned so far.  This could easily take longer than installing Linux.  And
> just think, in a month, I could get to do the same with Win8 (for ~$15).
>
> Why do I bother?  Several bad reasons: maybe I'll need it; Asus only
> supportw Win7 so I might need it to get warranty support; I paid for it
> (unwillingly) so I ought to have it.

In Israel there was one guy that purchased a notebook from Dell and decided
he does not agree with the Windows EULA, he tried to get a refund from the
dealer who referred  him to Dell, they of course said they don't have such
a policy so he appealed to court. After a battle of over a year, he got the
refund, I don't remember how much, anyway this was done only for the
principle. I have never done it, simply installed Linux.

--
Ori Idan