UPS dying...

Bob Jonkman bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 11 21:04:07 UTC 2012

On 12-09-11 10:03 AM, Mark Lane wrote:

> What you need to know is Peak wattage at startup and the Peak wattage
> under load.

The first time I specced out UPS requirements for a small server room I
calculated startup current draw by hand[*] for the servers, switches,
modems, &c., since I didn't want to overload the UPS coming up from a
blackout.  Turns out I over-specced the UPS by some 40%, since I was
later told by an APC rep that the rated power of a UPS allows for brief
overloads, precisely to account for startup loads.  Of course, it would
have been good to know this before buying the thing...

--Bob.

[*] Before the Internet was invented. Or at least, before the Internet
was commonly available, but definitely before online UPS calculators
were invented.

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>         http://sobac.com/sobac/
SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Phone: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON Canada  N3B 1L5  Cell: +1-519-635-9413