Desktop Linux [forever forthcoming...]

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 11 16:55:15 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:08:43AM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> I'm not sure how many watched the recent back-and-forth between
> Torvalds and Icarza
> <http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2012/Aug-29.html>,
> <https://plus.google.com/115250422803614415116/posts/hMT5kW8LKJk>
>
> Michael Meeks has some interesting commentary on the matter that takes
> a different enough take to avoid being a "he said, she said", and
> which points at how systems like BeOS, NeXT, OS/2, MeeGo Netbook
> failed.
>
> http://people.gnome.org/~michael/blog/2012-09-10-desktop-linux.html

Well Linus is right.  The gnome developers certainly did not at all
understand the attitude of the kernel developers.  Changing the outside
API all the time is NOT acceptable.  Changing the internal plumbing on
the other hand is.  And device drivers happen to be internal things if
they want to be efficient.

--
Len Sorensen