Question about Ubuntu 12 desktop

Bob Jonkman bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 11 04:52:59 UTC 2012

I've been using the Mate Desktop on Ubuntu for the last few months.  It
claims to be "a non-intuitive and unattractive desktop for users, using
traditional computing desktop metaphor."  I believe it's a fork of
Gnome2. I'm finally getting things done, without the computing
environment getting in my way.

http://mate-desktop.org/

Instructions for installing with a package manager are at

http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download

"Mate" is not "Cinnamon", although both seem to have been developed with
the Mint distro in mind.  I've used Cinnamon too, but it does not seem
to be as well developed as Mate (eg. fewer panel applets, faulty panel
applets). I also went through a brief spell of Gnome3 - but too many new
things to remember while trying to do work. And, obviously, I've tried
Unity, but I just can't get used to it.

--Bob.

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>         http://sobac.com/sobac/
SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Phone: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON Canada  N3B 1L5  Cell: +1-519-635-9413

On 12-09-10 11:22 PM, John Moniz wrote:
> [...]
Thanks for the link. The question is very timely also, Mel just beat