My struggle with getting small Linux distros installed on my laptop

Jason A. Spiro jasonspiro4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 10 22:08:21 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 8:27 PM,  <sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> No distro worked well from a USB
> stick -- slowness was always an issue. I neded up making room on my HD,
> and I ended up with a very fast system on a 10G partition, not
> including 2G swap on an SSD drive.

I've experienced this slowness too.

Since you're willing to use a hard drive, I recommend the Seagate
Momentus XT.  AFAICT, it's the only hybrid hard drive on the market
today.  (It's a single 2.5" device which contains magnetic platters
plus flash memory.  The firmware copies data back and forth as needed
so that you don't need to worry about it.)  I've used one.  They work
fine.

If you feel you must install Linux on a USB stick, see Mark Lord's
aufs ram-to-disk-synchronization toolkit:
<http://rtr.ca/run_from_ram/>.  I've never tried it, but it worked
fine when he demonstrated it at Linux Symposium.

--
Jason Spiro: software/web developer, packager, trainer, IT consultant.
I support Linux, UNIX, Windows, and more. Contact me to discuss your needs.