Java JVM architecture

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 10 20:14:35 UTC 2012

Thanks a lot Hugh

> | I am curious if anyone have come across a good article or book that
> | describe how JVM operates.
>
> There are several JVMs.  To be honest, I don't actually know how many.
> To understand them all at once, one should understand the
> specification.

Hmm, that correct but I am not sure I need that level of detail :)   its
actually a good pointer though

> | Stuff like how it maps its allocated memory into
> | the operating system virtual memory,  how it manage the memory and how
one
> | can control it,
>
> I'm not sure if that would be specified.  I would expect each JVM to
> make different tradeoffs (some not documented).

Very true.  But though there are may JVM, think sun Java (hotspots),
openjdk and dalvik make 98% of those in production. So was hoping something
on either of these exist

> | java security from the system admin point of view.
>
> That's a bit of a nebulous topic.  Lots of issues could fit under
> that, I think.
> --
True, would be anything other than authentication and SSL be more precise?

Thanks,

William