Question about Ubuntu 12 desktop

Mel Wilson mwilson-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 10 16:40:49 UTC 2012

I audited Ubuntu 12 a couple of months ago, and seemed to see the new
Gnome that treats desktops as though they were cellphones.  I hated what
I saw, and stuck with 10.04 LTS.  That has become a software backwater
with regard to packages like git, scratch et.al.

Is there a way to upgrade to 12.04 and keep my traditional desktop?  Or
should I just revert to Slackware times and do my own package installs?

	Thanks,		Mel.