(question) same MACs in wireless router

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 8 18:57:55 UTC 2012

William Park wrote:
> I thought they all have to be different.

MACs only have to be different on the local LAN.  WiFi and Ethernet are
two separate LANs bridged by the access point.  Those MACs are also the
same device, so there's no possibility of sending data to the wrong
box.  I just checked my TP-Link WA-901ND access point and it also shows
the same MAC for both WiFi and LAN sides.

Just a reminder for those who may have forgotten or never knew.  It is
the MAC address that's used to carry traffic around the local LAN, not
the IP address.  When a computer has to send data to another device on
the local LAN, it looks up the MAC address for that IP address and then
uses it to send the data.  The destination receives frames for it's MAC
address and then verifies the IP address if needed.  When you send to a
router, for forwarding elsewhere, the destination IP address is never
the router's address.