UPS dying...

Digimer lists-5ZoueyuiTZiw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 7 01:34:35 UTC 2012

On 09/06/2012 09:03 PM, Peter King wrote:
> My UPS seems to be dying.
>
> It's an APC Back-UPS XS 1000, which I've had for several
> years. Recently it has begun to trip into "Overload" mode
> for no apparent reason (no particular load was being put
> on it), at random but ever-more-frequently occurring times.
>
> The battery is probably no longer holding its charge, and
> hence the "overload" it reports.
>
> So it's time to get a new UPS.
>
> I have a computer with a 650w power supply, a monitor, and
> a few miscellaneous devices to run. Only the computer and
> monitor need go through the UPS backup power, but it would
> be convenient to have surge protection for the other devices.
>
> I don't need much time on the battery; a few minutes should
> be enough for an automatic controlled Linux shutdown.
>
> How "much" is enough -- is 1000w fine, or go for 1500w for
> the extra margin? I don't have a clue about these things.
>
> Advice, suggestions, recommendations?

The rated wattage of your PSU is not an indication of the current draw.
Unless you have some serious hardware in your machine, you are likely
drawing less than 200w on average (at least that's the load I see in
most cases).

Part of the question depends on what you want your UPS to do for you. Do
you want to use it to shut down your system when the battery is almost
out? If so, you'll want to check against apcupsd to ensure the model you
are looking at isn't using the new, as-yet unsupported interface. The
network-managed interface is fine.

Don't confuse VA with wattage support, too. The APC BR700G might be
perfectly adequate for you (700VA, 420w max draw, ~14m hold-up at 200w).

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR700G&total_watts=200

If it's not enough, you can look at the higher-capacity BackUPS.

--
Digimer
Papers and Projects: https://alteeve.ca