My struggle with getting small Linux distros installed on my laptop

sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 7 00:27:30 UTC 2012

I would have stuck with mint/xfce, but I found the overall speed to be
slow. If I had  a larger SSD drive, I probably would have used it. The
combination of Mint/Gnome and Mint/xfce (more so with Gnome) caused my
mouse to be too jumpy and out of control, which was a major factr in
choosing Manjaro Linux/xfce, which had a small footprint and a stable
mouse.

Manjaro had a unique "problem" in that the video driver it chose to
load when I asked for a non-free driver, was a test driver. There was a
watermark on the lower right of the screen saying "AMD testing use
only", containing the AMD logo. Someone at the Manjaro forums showed me
a sed/awk hack that got rid of the watermark, and now I have a system
that is a bit more presentable and a lot more liveable. Manjaro suffers
a bit from the fact that it is quite new (my version is 0.8.0), and a
lot of files are located in non-standard places, such as having most
conf files and passwd files under the root account (/root) (including
what should be /etc/passwd). No ordinary user can see files in /root.

My manjaro distro, after installing Python libs and some office goodies
(like LibreO) is around 5.4 Gigs.

Paul King