Session saving/restoring on Ubuntu

Matt Price moptop99-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 5 17:07:28 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Andrej Marjan <andrej-igvx78u1SeH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> After many years of KDE use I decided to see how "the other half" was living
> and installed Ubuntu. One bit of functionality that I've been sorely missing
> is session saving on logout and restoring on login.
>
> Is there a way to get this working on Ubuntu?
>
> Searching is failing me since I generally tend to fall into X session stuff
> or other unrelated topics, but from the near-successful searches it seems
> that one of two things may be happening:
>
> 1. Ubuntu folks intentionally disabled Gnome session management to keep
> things "simple" (various web boards and mailing lists)
> 2. Gnome 3 doesn't actually have working session management (there were
> links from the Ubuntu bug tracker to the Gnome bug tracker on something
> session-related)
>
> Not being a Gnome person, I can't tell which is correct. I just know that
> whether I try Unity or Gnome Shell, there's no session management.
>
> Thanks.

I think that in the old days, the problem was that ubuntu purposely
disabled session management; with some tweaks you could gett it
restored again.  In the new era (post-Unity) I think the problem is
more severe -- there's no session-management capability within unity,
and perhaps it's been eliminated from gnome-shell as well.

In cases where ubuntu is working well this is not such a big issue,
becuase you pretty well never reboot.  my lightdm session has started
crashing spontaneously though; so now I really notice the issue.

matt