Session saving/restoring on Ubuntu

Andrej Marjan andrej-igvx78u1SeH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 4 20:49:49 UTC 2012

After many years of KDE use I decided to see how "the other half" was
living and installed Ubuntu. One bit of functionality that I've been sorely
missing is session saving on logout and restoring on login.

Is there a way to get this working on Ubuntu?

Searching is failing me since I generally tend to fall into X session stuff
or other unrelated topics, but from the near-successful searches it seems
that one of two things may be happening:

1. Ubuntu folks intentionally disabled Gnome session management to keep
things "simple" (various web boards and mailing lists)
2. Gnome 3 doesn't actually have working session management (there were
links from the Ubuntu bug tracker to the Gnome bug tracker on something
session-related)

Not being a Gnome person, I can't tell which is correct. I just know that
whether I try Unity or Gnome Shell, there's no session management.

Thanks.