whois hacked? - google data changed

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 31 16:07:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> The WHOIS RFC <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3912> specifies very
> little about what data is to be returned, which means that almost
> however egregious the result returned, it's not provably "wrong."
>
> That being said, the result for GOOGLE.COM seems a little surprising to me.
>
> The expected information about that singular zone is listed, at the
> bottom, and a query is passed on to the relevant registrar, to get
> contact information.
>
> The additional information, with a whole series of "GOOGLE.COM.*"
> entries, are evidently the list of nameservers/hosts (as per RFC 5732)
> that begin with the specified string.  It's a bit bizarre if you
> weren't expecting it :-).

It strikes me as a bit counter-intuitive though: if I run a search on
a domain, I want information about *that* domain - not others*.  I
imagine the reasoning is in the RFC which I'll have to save for
reading some rainy day (oh wait, ok - another rainy day ;-)

* I also wonder how many of those GOOGLE.COM.* URI's are phishing
related or malware infested.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more