Domains not resolving

Chris F.A. Johnson chris-E7bvbYbpR6jSUeElwK9/Pw at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 25 19:30:51 UTC 2012

    My landlord has just switched form Teksavvy on DSL to Teksavvy on cable.

    The DSL modem, 2wire with built-in wireless, worked with no problems.

    He now has a cable modem plus a DLink DIR-815 wireless router.

    My laptop, running Mandriva 2010.1, connects with no problems.

    My desktop, running Mandriva 2010.2, connects but does not resolve URLs
    (Firefox works fine; lynx does not). I can connect (ssh, smtp, POP3, etc.) if
    I give a dotted quad IP address, but not with a URL.

    This is info from both machines:

$ iwconfig wlan0  ## laptop
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"MY HOME 1"
           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: BC:F6:85:C0:A4:E1
           Bit Rate=36 Mb/s   Tx-Power=27 dBm
           Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
           Power Management:off
           Link Quality=64/70  Signal level=-46 dBm

$ iwconfig wlan0 ## desktop
wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"MY HOME 1"  Nickname:"localhost.localdomain"
           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: BC:F6:85:C0:A4:E1
           Bit Rate=48 Mb/s   Tx-Power:20 dBm   Sensitivity=-121 dBm
           RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr=2346 B
           Power Management:off
           Link Quality:70/100  Signal level:-51 dBm  Noise level:-96 dBm

    Does anyone have any idea how to fix it?

--
    Chris F.A. Johnson, <http://cfajohnson.com/>
    Author: