Views from an Red Hat -> Ubuntu -> Fedora migrator

Ben Walton bdwalton-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 23 06:34:09 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 09:39:41AM +0100, Ben Walton wrote:
>> I've never understood why people find making RPM's difficult in the
>> least.  I've always found it quite easy to whip up an RPM for anything
>> I've needed (which over time grew a large collection).  I'd be
>> interested to hear why you found it difficult though...
>
> The .spec format to me is a mess.  The debhelper stuff in debian makes
> things much simpler and less effort.

Ok.  I guess it's subjective which is fair.  From my perspective, the
.spec format is fine.  It's macro based so a basic package can be
incredibly short and sweet.  I also like that it's a single file
instead of multiple for Debian.  Overall, I find them both reasonable
formats though.

> I think Debian works on servers if you have the people to maintain
> it yourself.  If you don't, then RHEL makes sense since the support is
> quite good.  So to me if you have to people to run it, Debian makes a much
> better system to work with, but it is your problem to keep it running.

That matches my experience as well and also demonstrates nicely why
the redhat model works.  They're a value add making money selling a
"free" product.

Thanks
-Ben
Take the risk of thinking for yourself.  Much more happiness,
truth, beauty and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens