Views from an Red Hat -> Ubuntu -> Fedora migrator

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 23 00:42:59 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 12:00:51PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 10:04:28PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> >   Agree with a previous poster about missing Redhat 7.3.  It was the
> > best Redhat ever. RH8 and RH9 were Windows-like bloat in comparison.
>
> To me RH 7.x were the worst ever.  Both the libc and gcc were hack jobs
> trying to get features that were not ready for release yet.  This made
> RH 7.x totally incompatible with any other linux distribution for C++
> based code.
>
> Total disaster.  I was so happy I had bailed after 6.0's bugs.

  7.0 was a stereotypical "point zero release", with bugs galore.  7.1
fixed most of the problems.  7.2 made even more bug-fixes, and 7.3 was
very good.

> I guess everyone needs to play with compiler flags for a while before
> they get over the idea that that is a useful thing to do.  I got over
> that back in university on a solaris system.

  In my case, yes it is useful.  The machine is a Dell Inspiron 530,
manufacture date 2008/06/19.  I subscribe to NHL Gamecentre Live (when
they're not locked out <G>).  Right after a fresh install off the
generic i686 download, the system simply could not keep up with even the
slowest stream.  After I ran "emerge system" and "emerge world", it
was easily able to keep up with that stream, even in fullscreen mode.
So in my case, it is useful, even it it makes me a "Gentoo ricer".  BTW,
my settings are...

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -mfpmath=sse -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j1"