CD-Rom not mounting

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 22 23:43:21 UTC 2012

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 02:50:41PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
> >No. But I believe that one is not necessary. It is a sata
> >connection, and if the program could see the disc it would read it
> >as data.
>
> Yes it is.  I've never had a CD or DVD drive that could play audio
> without an audio connection of some sort.  Audio tracks are not
> "data" in the sense of computer files.  They are just a continuous
> stream of bits representing the music.  CD burner programs can read
> those tracks and copy them to a file that can be played.

Nowdays, you don't need audio cable to play music CD.  At least in
Slackware, there is a program "workbone" which uses keypad as buttons
for "play", "stop", "forward", "reverse", etc.  Of course, you need the
audio cable if you are playing directly from the CD drive.  But, this is
old days, when CD drives were just another spin of CD walkman.
--
William