CD-Rom not mounting

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 22 16:25:07 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 02:50:41PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
>> Yes it is.  I've never had a CD or DVD drive that could play audio
>> without an audio connection of some sort.  Audio tracks are not
>> "data" in the sense of computer files.  They are just a continuous
>> stream of bits representing the music.  CD burner programs can read
>> those tracks and copy them to a file that can be played.
>
> Modern drives no longer have an audio connection.  Since win98 switched
> to digital extraction to play audio, the connector has been disappearing
> from drives.
>
> So the analog audio connector is gone.

FWIW, I haven't installed a CD-ROM drive in years; it never occurred
to me that they'd be on SATA connections now (though in retrospect I
guess it only makes sense)

Despite having little use for CD-ROM drives anymore, I for one am
happy to hear that the audio cable is gone.

Wish I could be of more help... looks like it's back to hardware school for me!

--
  Scott Elcomb
  @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more

  Atomic OS: Self Contained Microsystems