Views from an Red Hat -> Ubuntu -> Fedora migrator

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 22 15:54:28 UTC 2012

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 09:39:41AM +0100, Ben Walton wrote:
> I've never understood why people find making RPM's difficult in the
> least.  I've always found it quite easy to whip up an RPM for anything
> I've needed (which over time grew a large collection).  I'd be
> interested to hear why you found it difficult though...

The .spec format to me is a mess.  The debhelper stuff in debian makes
things much simpler and less effort.

> FWIW, I happily use both RHEL and Debian and find that they both have
> their place.  If you're an enterprise and can afford RHEL (instead of
> CentOS), the RHN is definitely a good value add proposition when
> looking after a lot of systems.  Although I use Ubuntu on the desktop,
> I cringe when I hear of its use on servers...they've rushed too many
> half baked things into LTS releases that you're essentially stuck
> with.

I think Debian works on servers if you have the people to maintain
it yourself.  If you don't, then RHEL makes sense since the support is
quite good.  So to me if you have to people to run it, Debian makes a much
better system to work with, but it is your problem to keep it running.

--
Len Sorensen