Views from an Red Hat -> Ubuntu -> Fedora migrator

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 20 16:57:27 UTC 2012

| From: Stephen Gordon <stephen.a.gordon-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM, John Moniz <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

| > How easy is it to get all of the pertinent multimedia codecs installed on
| > Fedora (I'd be interested in an answer for Debian also)? The main reason I
| > use Ubuntu and have installed it on several family and friends' PCs is the
| > ease with which I got multimedia working. I've often given up on it after
| > installing Fedora.

| In Fedora you still have to add an external repository (rpmfusion) to
| install the relevant non-free codec package for your media player,
| which I assume is the difficulty that you are referring to. I usually
| direct people to fedorafaq.org or fedorasolved.org for instructions.

Yeah.  Fedora is right or perhaps righteous.  Those things are
mostly not authorized for a distro to include.  So Ubuntu is
stretching things, I think.  But it sure is convenient.

When I feel the need, I follow these instructions for Fedora:
<http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f17.html>
Pretty easy.  You learn just what is problematic too.

Without such a guide it would be a lot more work.