Views from an Red Hat -> Ubuntu -> Fedora migrator

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 20 16:08:19 UTC 2012

On Sat, Oct 20, 2012 at 11:44:31AM -0400, Bob Jonkman wrote:

> And there are four significant minor releases throughout the life of the
> LTS editions, so you're not stuck with half-bakedness too long.

This baffles me. Why accept any half-bakedness for any time at all, in your
working environment?

Debian stable is exactly that, rock-solid (if unexciting and not up-to-date),
and Debian Testing, which I ran for years, is more solid than these "timed
release" distros. Now I prefer Gentoo, which is not only a very solid stable
rolling-release, but which is transparent all the way through (not only the
package management system but the software itself is all open to inspection,
fiddling, and recompiling). If I want to risk more bleeding-edge software I
can always unmask packages, or use Gentoo unstable, or just write a shell
script (an ebuild) and compile them myself; when things break I know who
broke them, and often why they broke.

But never mind *which* distro we're talking about. Why should anyone put up
with half-bakedness forced on them as a consequence of a release schedule?
That's what the Other OSes do -- OSX and Windows -- and there it's part of
the whole package, take it or leave it. Well, I left it, and I'm not going
to take it again.

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42