Views from an Red Hat -> Ubuntu -> Fedora migrator

John Moniz john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 20 14:50:31 UTC 2012

On 10/20/2012 04:39 AM, Ben Walton wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> I also know I will never go back to an RPM based distribution after
>> having used Debian.  RPM is just way too painful to make packages for
>> (and I find the rpm/yum interface too clumsy too).  It was a vast
>> improvement over slackware's patchetic concept of a package, but that
>> was a long time ago.
> I've never understood why people find making RPM's difficult in the
> least.  I've always found it quite easy to whip up an RPM for anything
> I've needed (which over time grew a large collection).  I'd be
> interested to hear why you found it difficult though...
>
> FWIW, I happily use both RHEL and Debian and find that they both have
> their place.  If you're an enterprise and can afford RHEL (instead of
> CentOS), the RHN is definitely a good value add proposition when
> looking after a lot of systems.  Although I use Ubuntu on the desktop,
> I cringe when I hear of its use on servers...they've rushed too many
> half baked things into LTS releases that you're essentially stuck
> with.
>
> Thanks
> -Ben

How easy is it to get all of the pertinent multimedia codecs installed
on Fedora (I'd be interested in an answer for Debian also)? The main
reason I use Ubuntu and have installed it on several family and friends'
PCs is the ease with which I got multimedia working. I've often given up
on it after installing Fedora.

I really miss RH7.3 :-(

John.