How stable is Debian Unstable?

Daniel Wayne Armstrong daniel-HRJVlgn2G/y5aS82P/H3Zg at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 20 03:37:16 UTC 2012

Building a bit on the thread about Red Hat -> Ubuntu -> Fedora ... I
would be interested in any feedback from long-term Debian unstable/sid
users.

I have played with the various Debian branches (stable, testing,
unstable) over the years. Stable for server setups + a few desktop
installs with simple needs and usually testing for myself. I am
currently running Debian unstable with no problems ... so far. A
couple things I do that (might) make a difference to make the Debian
unstable branch more stable:

* installed apt-listbugs
* use apt-get from the console (logged out of X) vs aptitude or synaptic
* frequent upgrades (1-3 times a week)
* use a simple window manager (Fluxbox) ... maybe a more complex
desktop environment might cause problems???

So - out of curiosity - does anyone here use Debian Unstable as their
daily desktop environment?