ADSL Modems...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 18 14:48:22 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 08:48:18AM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
> My mother's ADSL modem (a basic TP-Link model) appears to have failed.
> I will be visiting her (near Ottawa) within the next month, and the
> question is: "What make/model of ADSL modem should I be packing with
> me?". Primary concern here is reliability, with cost secondary...

ADSL, ADSL2+, VDSL?  Which level is needed.

ADSL2+ would probably make sense to get these days since it covers
all ADSL versions.  You can't actually buy the VDSL modems yet so that
wouldn't matter.

Of course given you can get an ADSL2+ modem for $24, even if they are
not the longest lasting device ever, it's not bad.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_1059_358&item_id=024298
is a TP-Link for $24, whoever TP-Link is.  There is a d-link ADSL2+
router for $40 as well.  You can probably turn of the router part and
just use it as a modem if you already have a router you want to use.

I remember it used to be SpeedStream 5360 and such were considered among
the best ADSL1 modems you could get.  No idea if their new models for
ADSL2+ are as well.

>From searching a bit, some people find the d-link unreliable.
Supposedly lots of techy websites really like Billion ADSL modems,
such as the Billion 7300RA, which does not seem to exist in Canada at all.
Very popular in Australia it would seem.  The TP-link is supposed to work
quite well unless you happen to be in an area where Bell uses a particular
model of DSLAM which doesn't get along with the chipset in the TP-Link.
No wonder ADSL is so hard to make reliable. :)

--
Len Sorensen