Logging solutions?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 14 23:07:24 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 9:39 AM, David Collier-Brown <davec-b-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> The petit link is broken, try https://code.google.com/p/petit-log/

The link *was* working when I first saw it; there's something interesting there.

> I used Marcus's approach to write "antilog", described in the story
> "Sherlock Holmes on Log Files", at
> http://www.datacenterworks.com/stories/antilog.html.
>
> It's pretty easy to write config files for syslog and various apps and
> thereby arrange for only unexpected log messages to be mailed to you
> early in the morning, for you to read over your first coffee.

In the interests of doing some of my own thing, I took Jamon's idea of
setting up rsyslog to do centralized collection.

Interestingly, it took a tiny amount of configuration, on Debian, to
set things up to stow all nodes' data into a Postgres database, as the
central representation.

That makes writing awk-based rewriting rules a little bit awkward, but
hey, maybe I create a rewriter into SQL! :-)

Some useful food for thought here, and it's pretty slick how easy it
was to centralize the data.