Logging solutions?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 11 22:42:55 UTC 2012

I have added a couple more little boxes into my home environment, and
it seems as though I probably ought to have *some* centralized
examination of syslog and similar data.

Nagios seems as though it's likely to be overkill.

I poked around a little bit at answers and it looks as though
solutions often get pretty heavyweight for something that I want to
pay as *little* attention to as I can.

Somewhat interesting is a tool called "petit"
crunchtools.com/software/petit/

The creator discusses some ideas surrounding trimming out
irrelevancies via what he terms "artificial ignorance"
  http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/papers/ai/index.html

The most-referenced listing of log analysis tools that I find is this
one: <http://www.securitywarriorconsulting.com/logtools/>.  Does
anyone have better?

There's something elegant about some of the thoughts in "petit", have
to poke at that more...

As a complete aside, the clever hack of the day is to diminish
peoples' annoyance at your phone making curious sounds by having That
Notification Tone be something that you can recognize but that they
probably won't perceive...
    http://lifehacker.com/5950285/make-a-coughing-ringtone-to-go-unnoticed-when-you-forget-to-silence-your-phone