Disable Thinkpad mouse buttons

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 9 17:59:48 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 07, 2012 at 09:36:33PM -0400, Daniel Wayne Armstrong wrote:
> My father has a Thinkpad E520 running Debian and he wants a few of the
> mouse buttons disabled (he hits them with his hands when he types
> producing unexpected results).
>
> Thinkpad E520 has a touchpad with left-, middle-, right-click buttons
> along the top and left-, right-click button along the bottom. He would
> like the 3 mouse buttons along the top of the touchpad to be disabled.
>
> I came across this HOWTO -
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_configure_the_TrackPoint - that
> provided this snippet of code to disable the middle-button:
>
> xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 9 3 4 5 6 7 8 2"
>
> ... and it indeed works and disables the middle mouse button (no idea
> what that series of numbers signify or what it is doing, though).

It assigns button one to work as button 1, button 2 to work as button 9
(usually does nothing), button 3 to work as button 3, etc.

> How can I disable the left- and right-click mouse buttons? Thanks for any help.

Well I suspect the result (unless you can convince X that the buttons
for the touch pad are different than the buttons for the trackpoint)
will be to disable all left and right buttons on the system.

If you can manage to apply a map to a specific input device rather than
to the system overall, then you should be able to do something about them.

--
Len Sorensen