slow booting after installation of another Linux

Anthony de Boer adb-SACILpcuo74 at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 8 16:07:30 UTC 2012

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> After installing another version of Linux, my original Linux became
> slow to boot.
>
> Spoiler:
> The problem was that I let the new installation reformat the swap
> partition.  In the process, it gave it a new UUID.  That means that
> the fstab entries on the old system referred to the partition by a
> UUID that no longer existed or worked.

I just love new technologies that replace the problems they're touted
as solving with a shiny new set of problems.

> Diagnosis:
>
> 1. booting was slow.  The splash screen gives no clue other than time.

The joy of hotplugging: any device that isn't around when needed might
be later, so let's procrastinate and maybe it'll show up in a bit.

The joy of user-friendliness: error messages are confrontational, so
it's somehow better to just fail silently and refuse to admit there's
any problem.

--
Anthony de Boer