slow booting after installation of another Linux

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Oct 7 20:22:24 UTC 2012

After installing another version of Linux, my original Linux became
slow to boot.

Spoiler:
The problem was that I let the new installation reformat the swap
partition.  In the process, it gave it a new UUID.  That means that
the fstab entries on the old system referred to the partition by a
UUID that no longer existed or worked.

Diagnosis:

1. booting was slow.  The splash screen gives no clue other than time.

2. changed the "linux" line in grub.cfg, removing "quiet" and "rhgb".
   This means that logs will pour out as booting proceeds.
   (You can make this change on-the-fly, for a single boot, by
   asking grub to let you edit.)

3. During booting, the log pauses with a message somewhat like:
	systemd[1]: Recreating volatile files

4. After the boot, in dmesg output, at about the same timestamp, there
   are messages about not finding partitions with the old UUID.

Fix:

Edit /etc/fstab to refer to the swap partition with the new UUID.