System testing

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 24 08:37:25 UTC 2012

On 12-11-23 11:18 PM, Giles Orr wrote:
> I have an older system - Gigabyte motherboard, Core 2 quad processor.  It
> was my desktop up until a couple months ago - but it had become
> progressively more unstable and daily crashes were the norm.  Now I have a
> new desktop and I'm willing to subject the old system to any and all tests

I have seldom found a memory test able to catch problems but it never hurts
to run it (for several hours minimum). Pull all plug-in cards that are not
required to run the system. Check the power supply voltages to see if they
are in spec and also look for ripple on the lines or just swap the power
supply. A flaky supply can cause all kinds of hard to diagnose issues. If
you run in graphics mode, swap the video card for another one in a working
and stable machine.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.