Free router distro for my dir-825 (w/Access Control for https!)

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 19 18:08:24 UTC 2012

On 16/11/12 09:16 PM, Matt Price wrote:
> I'm replacing my old WRT54GL router with a D-link DIR-825.  I run Tomato on
> the WRT but
> (1) tomato doesn't sem to support the dir-825, and
> (2) I've been having trouble lately with access control policies on the
> tomato -- in particular, it doesn't seem to filter https:// packets; and as
> most of thee services I want to control access to (Facebook, GMail,
> Youtube...) run on https, this is a major issue for me.
>
> so:
>
> -- anyone out there use other router firmware (openwrt, dd-wrt, etc)?  What
> do you like about it?  easy to use is a BIG plus for me.

I like OpenWRT on my DIR-825. The initial flashing process is stupid
(Dlink's recovery interface sucks and you have to use it iirc), but once
the firmware is installed it works nicely.

It is solid, gives a basic gui with https for remote access, and has a
large repository of available packages to install. I'm currently
considering moving to a local unbound resolver on the router so that I
don't have to use my ISP/google's DNS servers.

> -- anyone have suggestions for filtering https?  My kids are turning into
> zombies, and yet they need the Internet to do their homework! It's driving
> me crazy!  Seriously, my hair is much greyer than it was a month ago, i
> think facebook is going to kill me.

http://mitmproxy.org/ might be what you're after. Combine that with your
smoothwall or something and you ought to be able to have pretty granular
control over what/when/how your kids access the internet with minimal
supervision.

Cheers, Jamon