avoid Intel GMA 600 more than you avoid GMA 500

Anthony de Boer adb-SACILpcuo74 at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 19 03:06:03 UTC 2012

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 03:01:09PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
> >   Ironically, Gentoo Linux is in about the best position to take
> > advantage of this chip, given that we can tweak our kernels.  ...
>
> Any distribution can turn on experimental drivers if they want, and
> many do.  What does gentoo have to do with it?

Mostly, I think, that Gentoo's idea of kernel distribution is to give
you the /usr/src/linux tree and gcc.  Most other distros would rather you
used the binary kernels and modules they package, and one feels faintly
disloyal building one's own contrary to upstream's wishes.

I do wryly point out that having all of the kernel configuration options
spread out is a field ripe for discovering iteratively that one needed to
pick a different option and rebuild the whole thing yet again and again.
:-\

> Also having a framebuffer that is terribly slow isn't necessarily much
> better than use a vesa frame buffer or whatever currently works on that
> annoying chip.

All Hardware Sucks, video cards doubly so.  I'd be greatly encouraged if
there were some current maker whose stuff Just Worked with Linux with
open drivers that weren't slow and/or buggy and all, so I could go out of
my way to buy their hardware, but the current field looks like one is in
for pain in all directions.

--
Anthony de Boer