avoid Intel GMA 600 more than you avoid GMA 500

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 16 02:10:15 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 03:48:47PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote

> Also having a framebuffer that is terribly slow isn't necessarily
> much better than use a vesa frame buffer or whatever currently works
> on that annoying chip.

  Virtually all linux video drivers are now framebuffer-based.  And
having used the netbook with VESA and kernel-mode GMA500 drivers, I can
assure you that the GMA500 driver is much, much faster.  See the tests
with Youtube videos that I mentioned in the thread I referenced.  Not to
mention that it does native 1366x768 mode versus VESA's 1024x768.

We are apparently better off trying to avoid udev like the plague.
Linus Torvalds; 2012/10/03 https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/3/349