avoid Intel GMA 600 more than you avoid GMA 500

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 15 20:01:09 UTC 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 12:58:30PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote

> So, what *is* supposed to be able to run well on these tablets?
>
> It sounds as though *no* operating system is supportable.
>
> - An HP tablet isn't going to run iOS, because Apple has long been out of
> the relicensing biz
> - Sounds like *all* versions of Windows are left in the lurch
>   - Windows 7 isn't optimized, and HP presumably doesn't have drivers for
> that
>   - Ditto for Windows 8
> - Possibly Android might work, though graphics wouldn't be impressive
> - At one time they cared about WebOS, tho not these days...
>
> There's not enough driver information available for Linux to get X11
> (or Wayland ;-)) working well (or perhaps at all?), and presumably
> Google is just as "screwed" vis-a-vis getting Android (or ChromeOS,
> no doubt) working on it.

  Ironically, Gentoo Linux is in about the best position to take
advantage of this chip, given that we can tweak our kernels.  I have an
older Atom with a a "Poulsbo" GMA500 and here's how my kernel is set up
in "make menuconfig"...

Device Drivers  --->
    Graphics support  --->
    <*> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI suppor
        <*>   Intel GMA5/600 KMS Framebuffer
        [ ]     Intel GMA600 support (Experimental)
        [ ]     Intel GMA3600/3650 support (Experimental)

  Since I have a GMA500, I haven't enabled the GMA600 support.  See
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.tolug/58557 for
more details.  If this driver is available for Linux, I assume it's
available in Android.

We are apparently better off trying to avoid udev like the plague.
Linus Torvalds; 2012/10/03 https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/3/349