avoid Intel GMA 600 more than you avoid GMA 500

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 15 17:37:41 UTC 2012

I saw an open-box Atom-based HP tablet for a not-unreasonable price.  So I
went to investigate what an HP Slate 2 Tablet is.

I found something that makes it very not interesting.  Its video chip is
the Intel GMA 600.  That, like the infamous GMA 500, is based on the
"PowerVR" from Imagination Technologies.  As such, Intel doesn't seem to
be in control of the drivers.  But apparently the result is even worse
that for the GMA 500.  Not only is Linux left in the lurch, but so is
Win8, Android, and to a lesser extent, even Win7.

Read message 7 in this thread <http://communities.intel.com/thread/29943>

It suggests that Apple has some sort of exclusive license that precludes
anything getting better for the GMA 600.  Of course such agreements are
confidential, but the behaviour of Intel seems to support this guess.