All in one box for open source PBX?

William Weaver williamdweaver-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 6 22:48:15 UTC 2012

So I passed the info on to a friend of mine who just set up one for his
company. His response is quoted below.

"We use this:
http://www.nicherons.com/ippbx02.html

It's asterisk based and it runs the voip system for our office. It doesn't
get very hot, fits in the palm of my hand, has no moving parts, and runs
asterisk. It ran us about $275.

I don't how many simultaneous calls it can handle before it would start
bogging down - I wouldn't use it in a high call volume scenario. There's a
bigger one with more i/o also.

Our voip system is simply that plus a SIP provider called 1-VoIP. We pay
about 20 bucks a month for unlimited SIP trunking. Basically every Cisco,
comcast, etc. etc. who followed up
was just like "yea, we can't fuck with that" when I told them what our
solution had cost us. Also, we use Grandstream GXP2000 ip phones, which are
decent and run about 80 bucks each I think.

1-VoIP
http://www.1-voip.com/voip/
These guys are the cheapest we found in the game, and have US based
support. I can tell from dealing with them that they are a really small
outfit, but they make a really solid effort to provide good customer
support and I've yet to have a problem that wasn't resolved very quickly.

You could also run asterisk on a linux box. If all you are using is VoIP
and SIP trunks then it's cheap. When you start getting into the FXS/FXO
port cards that break your connections out into POTS lines for things like
failover or fax machines it can get pricey. Cheap assumes you have someone
who is competent enough to set up asterisk on Linux and get it configured
quickly.

That's my 2 cents."

Good luck,

Will Weaver