Free CrossOver for a year (Tomorrow only)

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 5 16:59:59 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 1:52 AM, Kevin Cozens <kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 12-10-31 02:26 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 11:04:58PM -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
>>
>>> I have a few Windows programs I occasionally run in Linux using
>>> Wine. One high end CAD package doesn't work any more in Wine due to
>>> how they check the licensing key but it would be nice to run that
>>> from Linux.
>>>
>> [snip]
>
>  Worth a try.
>>
>> To some extent that may be part of why they are doing this.  It is lots
>> of publicity in the press and such potentuially, and some people that
>> try it may decide it is really useful to them.
>>

> It was worth a true but it didn't work. I could install and run version 2
> of Rhino but when I tried to update the install to version 4 it couldn't
> find the previous version so I couldn't install the update. A new version
> of Crossover is supposed to come out soon so I will try again then to
> update to version 4.
>
> My feeling was that this was a form of publicity and a way to increase
> their user base and maybe convert some of the free users in to paying
> customers later.

That's almost certainly what this was - a marketing gimmick.  Despite the
fact I have little use for CrossOver, I actually signed up for the offer.
 I still have a few Windows-only apps (audio & game development tools) that
I play with from time to time; figured it wouldn't hurt to try them under
Linux when some free time comes available.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  @psema4 on Twitter / Identi.ca / Github & more

  Atomic OS: Self Contained Microsystems