Laptop resolution issue.

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 5 12:42:06 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 04, 2012 at 11:01:54PM -0500, jim wrote
> Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a problem I am having with my
> laptop. For some reason I can only chose the native resolution of
> 1440x900. I am using the nvidia driver 304.60 . It used to be that in
> the Nvidia settings menu I could select a number of resolutions but now
> only the one?? I am attaching my current xorg.conf file below in case
> that is of any use. Thanks for any advice on this one.
> Cheers,
> Jim

  The first, and easiest (if it works) solution is to temporarily rename
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d to something different, and
see if it works.  If not, rename them back.

  A few other avenues to look at...
1) What is the output of the "xrandr" command?
2) Plow through the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if you can
   find any hints there.
3) If you change the default resolution in Xorg.conf (e.g. to 1024x768)
   will it work?
4) Have you upgraded your distro or Nvidia drivers recently?  I run
   Gentoo linux, and I have to rebuild the Nvidia drivers against the
   new kernel, each time I upgrade the kernel.