wiki for household

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 2 16:49:51 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 2:20 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I'm thinking that it might be nice to have a wiki in our house.  I don't
> want one in the cloud for privacy reasons.

<snip>

> Things we need:
>
> - light weight (I don't want to become further burdened as a sysadmin)
>
> - stable (change management isn't fun)
>
> - strong community (to ensure long and healthy life)
>
> - good support for history (revision control) and backups
>
> - simplicity
>
> - pleasant and easy support for pictures and other non-text
>
> - easy & powerful markup that isn't intrusive (true of all wikis, but some
>   better than others)
>
> - grow with our needs (whatever that might turn out to be)

I'll offer up my favorite <http://www.tiddlywiki.com/> for the following
reasons:

- Extremely light weight - it's only a single html file, fully
self-contained
- The communities (both developers & users) are extensive, active and
friendly. Have been for years.
- Matches everything else in your list of requirements, save one (I
believe):  putting a TiddlyWiki under revision control is possible (an HTML
document is just a plain text file after all) but can be a bit tricky.
- Server versions are also available, and a Node.js powered HTML5 version
(TW5) is well into development.

If you think you might want to give TiddlyWiki a try and you need a hand,
feel free to ping me off list.

Best,
--
  Scott Elcomb