Flame virus set to spread like wildfire

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu May 31 15:36:06 UTC 2012

On 12-05-30 08:03 AM, Stephen wrote:
> Excerpt:
>
> It is perhaps the most sophisticated piece of malicious software ever
> designed – a digital surveillance device so complex it ran on sensitive
> government computer networks for years, undetected.

The virus has been around for years and only now is it going to spread like
wildfire?? I see these types of messages now and then. I tend to ignore them
for two reasons. One, I rarely run Windows. Two, they smack of being little
more than generators of FUD.

People will pass along information in the interest of letting their friends
know of a threat that could affect them without knowing if their is any
validity to the threat. There was a time when virus alert notices were being
circulated when the virus the alert reported on didn't exist.

For newspapers, there is no news like "bad" news. In this case, bad takes on
several meanings. It's bad news, but also a bad effort as it is lacking in
hard information (which operating system(s) could be affected, who might be
impacted by this, how it will suddenly start spreading after it's been
around so long).

These things pop up now and then. Always good news for makers of anti-virus
programs to get people to panic and make sure their anti-virus program
subscriptions are up to date, or that its time to buy an anti-virus program.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.